Pubs & Clubs

What do you need to do?

Physical separation

  • Bar staff working in pubs and clubs where amplified music is played are at risk of permanent hearing damage
  • One way to control this risk is, where possible, to separate people who are not connected with the performance from the music

Here are some ways to separate staff from the music:

  • Position bars away from the dance floor and performance areas.
  • Provide staff with off-duty areas with noise levels below 80 decibels (dB) (see managing exposure).
  • Locate bars in quiet areas or provide 'chill-out' rooms where the noise levels are preferably below 80 dB.
  • Place acoustic screening to protect specific work locations from direct noise sources. The effectiveness of screens depends on their design and location - you may want to consult a qualified acoustic engineer about this.

You'll find more detailed information in:

Back to 'What do you need to do?'